Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"The Perfect Life"

White picket fence, tulips all in a row
the door always open, because everyone knows
the house is always tidy, the kids always clean
no worries for tomorrow, for from the pocketbook we glean.


The cars in the drive always sparkling and new
the husband is at work, but he'll be home soon
to a home-cooked meal in a kitchen spotless
for they all know that I never make a mess.


Or is this my life? Always orderly and right?
What about all of the tears cried at night?
Do I look good on the outside, while failing within?
Is my perfect life my idol, and all the while a sin?


Who do I run to when life has me down? 
Do I buy the next thing or gather friends 'round?
Who else can satisfy the longing of my soul, 
to be filled with something that will make me whole?


I was planning my life, every step of the way
all the while Jesus wanted to have the say.
So now I can see if I open my eyes,
That the perfect life is the perfect lie.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

God is showing me that it is often in our humility (instead of our "perfection") that He is clearly shown. We strive after these perfect lives when God just wants us to strive after Him. I love the line, "I was planning my life, every step of he way, all the while Jesus wanted to have the say."

Did you write this?